Experiments with wet-moulding leather, using pricking irons and stitching with proper waxed cord.
I’ve been using a jury-rigged back-of-the-hand pincushion for many years, and finally decided to make a proper one. The dome is wet-moulded – stretched over a thermoplastic form and stapled down to a piece of scrap wood. Once it was completely dry I was surprised by how strong then resulting dome was. The punched holes are backed with a piece of linen, and the dome is stuffed with synthetic stuffing fluff. Using pricking irons to make the holes made life a lot easier than last time I did any leatherwork, and doing proper saddle-stitching with waxed cord was also a revelation.
I was concerned that it would be annoying to find the holes when replacing a pin, but I haven’t had any trouble, and the pincushion is very comfortable and convenient to use.
The second piece here is a sheath for the knife I made at a Green Wood Guild workshop, which includes a wooden liner tray to stop the blade cutting straight through the sheath. Cling film to prevent rusting from the wet leather and a LOT of clamps made the exercise pretty straightforward.
A pair of patchwork and appliquéd quilts, made for a much-loved pair of twins two years ago. The suggested theme was hot air balloons, to match the nursery. I initially designed them as double-sided (day and night), but even after that, I ended up with a far bigger bite than I’d expected to chew through… My first quilt, and not sure I’d make another, although admittedly many of the problems stemmed from the sheer scale and making it up as I went along!
I actually photo-documented the process in some detail for once, thanks to having an assistant, so you can see how I got through it.
Cute little beanie beastie made as a gift. I just love the ways you can pose it…
They may look like I’ve twisted my ankles horribly, but it’s my latest creation! Made at 9.30 last night, when my feet were too cold for me to go to sleep.
Take a baggy knee-high sock, turn it half inside out and fill the space in between the two layers with about two cups of rice. Sew across the the hem, capturing the toe end. You end up with a sock which has an outer sleeve of rice which can be distributed as you wish by squishing it. Stick a pair of them in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and you have the perfect thing to defrost cold feet quickly and comfortably from all sides at once!
Commission: three small blue felt godzillas, suitable for juggling and other shenanigans.
To be named by its recipient, a blank-faced red fleece-and-felt fluffmonster with big ears, horns, wings, and a magnificent mane galore.
Perhaps my biggest monster to date, it stands about 18″ high, with stuffing beads weighting the bottom, a satin belly, and makes a perfect armful for cuddling.
Synthetic fleece, satin, felt, pipe-cleaners, sheep’s fleece, stuffing fluff, stuffing beads,
I was feeling the need for a new lunch sack. The design is perfect for making drybags, but in this case the ripstop nylon, although eye-catching, is distressingly permeable.
A long thin rectangle of ripstop nylon, some boning (as for clothes), webbing and clips.
I wrapped either end of the fabric around the boning a couple of times, sewed it up into a bag, attached the ends of the boning and the webbing together, capturing the clips.
To get an idea of the scale.
Rolling the top over seals the bag neatly, and takes up slack so the contents don’t rattle.
It makes a decent carry-handle!
When empty, the bag is incredibly slim – I can even wear it as a choker, or wrapped twice around my wrist.
Not quite Doof-ready.
That’s a gallery, inserted…