Commissioned piece – an etched copper and silver pendant featuring a Sami-inspired design incorporating a reindeer motif from an existing piece.
Long rosary-style necklace made from black lava beads, whole and partial ammonite fossils, belemnite fossil, and sterling silver.
The belemnite point hangs low on the chest, and I love the two little ‘secrets’ – on the back of the main ammonite, a heart, and another small ammonite that rests at the nape of the neck.
I’m so proud of this piece, and it’s going to look so good once the chain oxidises a little.
For sale on Etsy shortly, unless anyone claims it first.
I could make these silhouettes with just about anything… such fun!
These and others for sale on Etsy, including custom designs, made to order.
I’ve been busy with etching the past few days, and further bedding in my newly mutilated bench – with some extra upgrades!
I’ve added a magnetic knife rack from Ikea to one leg, which I’m extremely happy with – I wasn’t expecting it, but the thing I’m most delighted to store on it is the punches for my disc cutter! These things are always driving me nuts: rolling around, squashing/cutting things, getting underfoot and always being hard to lay my hands on. Now they’re visible, ready to hand, but out of the way. I’ve also started using it to store my hammer, and for keeping things like knives and spikes out of the way. As my bench evolves I’m almost certain to get more of these.
My next mod was hot-glueing my tweezers stand to the underside of my desk, so that I could easily hover them over my soldering pad. It fell off when I was doing some hammering, but I like the general idea, so I’m thinking of creating a third-hand device with integrated soldering platform. I added an animation of my bench peg for fun – I’m looking to replace it though, with one built into the benchtop.
To thank you for reading this far, here’s some shots of my latest pieces – etched with toner! Now I’m off to do a proper photoshoot.
Today’s been lovely and productive – lots of jewellery coming together for the Ugli outing next week. Along with brooches, fossil necklaces and cufflinks, I made a small batch of simple windmill earrings. Accidentally melting one lead to a nice discovery – the odd one out makes a lovely little brooch!
A very exciting opportunity has come up (to be discussed if and when confirmed!) but this is just a quick post to share the work I’m doing today on developing a physical showcase for my jewellery. The idea is to create a self-contained desktop display environment that I can use to showcase examples of my jewellery work – earrings, necklaces, pendants, brooches, bracelets, cufflinks and so on.
Due to my recent acquisition of a fabulously gigantic cardboard box from a friend’s recent extravagant TV purchase, I plan to use cardboard as the construction material, and brown paper as the design/background theme. I’ll see how it comes together. For now, here’s the necklace display I’m working on today. I’m structurally very happy with it, although the carpet core tube will need to be covered in brown paper to hide the yucky glue marks.
Phew, this was a challenge – in 2005, I was commissioned to make a mixed-materials pendant for someone’s partner, based on his tattoo (hope he doesn’t mind me sharing his shoulder!)
The final product was a translucent green soapstone gecko clinging to a coconut shell leaf, with claws and eyes inlaid in mother of pearl, and went all the way to Australia.
Another lovely comment from a happy customer over in the US today:
I received the necklace today and I absolutely LOVE it! I put it on as soon as I opened the envelope. It is perfect. Thank you!!
What a way to start the day!