A little brooch I made to accompany my friend and jewellery-sensei Robin on her move up to E’burgh. It’s not a robin though, it’s a wren! Made from .9mm sterling silver sheet, it feels very heavy and luxurious, and I was delighted with how well the partial texturing came out.
This was one off the fiddliest things I’ve ever made. It took about 20 mins to cut and shape all of the pieces, then approximately THREE HOURS to solder it all together. I foolishly only have one grade of solder, so the old joints would fall apart as soon as the new would flow. I very, very nearly gave up but stepped back, took a deep breath and tried again, and I’m so glad I did. 60th birthday present for an awesome aunt.
The second pair took 3 hours to make two – using solder paste instead of chips has made a massive difference. I love the way the open wirework came together.